Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Romney

I don't get the dislike many have for Romney.  Romney strikes me as an extremely competent, bright, thoughtful, successful, generous man.  He sure doesn't excite me, but not since I was a child have I wanted a candidate that excited me.  Goodness, no.  Excitement is for children, competence is for adults.
It confuses me even more when polls indicate that conservatives don't think Romney is conservative enough.  What?  Everything about the man is conservative.  He is Mormon and I have yet to meet a liberal Mormon.

By all appearances he is socially conservative.  A bunch of kids.  Long time and stable marriage.  He has made a ton of money and been generous with it.  He has been generous with his time, his talents and his treasure.  What is not conservative about that? He doesn't smoke, dip or drink.  He looks fit.
Sure he had to go along to get along in deep blue Massachusetts, but fiscally he didn't.  Should he have been more truthful/honest/open about his views on social issues while running for office?  Sure, as long as he didn't intend to win.  Is it possible that his views have evolved?  Absolutely, mine have since I was a young and continue to do so.  At least with Romney his views evolved the right way.
Romneycare?  What of it?  States can do things like that and thankfully he did because Romneycare serves as an example of what not to do.  If Romneycare is constitutional then isn't Obamacare?  No, its called federalism and if you don't know that, why are you reading this?
I suspect much of the dislike of Romney boils down to these factors.  First, he is Mormon and that means to many that he isn't one of "us".  Second, he is so successful, folks forget he wasn't born to his great wealth, he earned it.  Third, he lived in the NE and most conservatives have a natural distrust of folks from north of the Mason Dixon line and struggle to believe there is a real conservative in that part of the world.  Well, there are and there are a bunch of them, but they are overwhelmed by the liberals and their entrenched friends in government and the media.
None of this matters to me anyway.  You see I stopped voting FOR someone long long ago.  I only vote AGAINST someone.  I voting against Obama.  Doesn't matter who my vote is FOR, it is a vote AGAINST Obama.   Meant what was said above, I don't want excitement in a politician, I want competence.

No comments: